Join communities in your area on Telegram to meet people close to you and keep up with the latest news. There are two different methods for this.
Telegram is a well-known messaging platform. We know that in its different versions -app, mobile, desktop- you can send texting, making video calls and share multimedia content with your contacts.
These are the main tools, but there are other unknown ones that are more related to a use of Telegram as a social network and not just for messaging.
It's true, you can use Telegram to meet new people and make friends, especially with users who are close to your location. In this guide we explain two different methods to find Telegram groups in your area and, in this way, meet people close to you, keep up to date with the latest news in the area, share curiosities or plan activities together, among other options.
How to find Telegram groups in your area
As we said, there are two different methods that allow you to communicate directly with other people in your area who use Telegram. Your new friends could be behind the corner or, rather, behind a simple Telegram conversation. Let's see what those two methods are to which we refer.
With the People Nearby function
The most interesting function to discover groups created in your area is People nearby, a section within Telegram that serves as a link for users who are just a few meters from your location.
What this tool basically does is access your location and show you to other users in your area already the groups that have been created so far.
In the case of users, you can easily communicate with them, while in the case of groups you can join the conversation already started. Also, if the groups that already exist do not interest you, you have the opportunity to create your own local group. Next, we see step by step how to find groups in your area with the function People nearby on your Android mobile.
- Enter the application and open the left side menu. You can do this by clicking on the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner or by sliding your finger from the extreme left towards the center of the screen.
- In the pop-up menu, click on "People nearby".
- Give the app permission to access your location, is required in order to use the function.
- You are already inside People Nearby. Swipe down until you find the section "Local groups" which, as its name suggests, brings together all the groups created in your area. Enter the one that interests you the most and voila, you can start communicating with other users in your area.
Keep in mind that, once you enter Nearby People, other users close to your location who are using the tool they will be able to see you and contact you. However, Telegram never shows your phone number, so in that sense you can rest easy regarding your privacy.
Entering the name of the town in the search engine
The simplest, but least accurate, method of finding groups in your area is to enter the name of your town or city in the Telegram search engine. When you do this, the application shows you the groups related to that term that currently exist on the platform.
To find groups in your area using the Telegram search engine follow these simple steps:
- Open Telegram in any of its versions.
- Click on the search engine. In the mobile application it is in the upper right corner, while in the web and desktop version the search bar appears in the upper left area.
- Enter the name of your town and let the search take place.
- Look at the results Search the name of the groups in your area to find out if you are interested in belonging to them.
- Click on the one that interests you the most to chat with other users and tap on "Join", at the bottom of the chat.
It is important that when searching for groups in your area using the integrated Telegram search engine, you pay attention to the name of the groups, as they will largely indicate the purpose of the same. If you start to be part of one and at the time you discover that it is not what you were looking for, you can get out easily.
In the event that there are no local groups in Telegram, you can create a public group on your own to meet with other users in the area. The messaging platform supports groups of up to 200,000 members, so you see that you will not have problems of any kind when it comes to create yourself a Telegram group in your area.
Related topics: Applications, Free Applications, Telegram