the new version of the open source office suite is renamed for the general public

The Document Foundation has announced the release of LibreOffice 7.1 Community, and that new tag "community" has been added for more clearly separate the LibreOffice business solution offering versus the general public office suite.

LibreOffice Community is then the version developed by the volunteer community It is not business oriented and is not optimized for the support needs they need. The foundation says the idea with this new nomenclature is to highlight the importance of business customers to the organization.

What's new in LibreOffice 7.1

Lo71 Impress01

The new features of LibreOffice 7.1 Community have been developed mostly by programmers employed by the companies that are part of their Advisory Board. This includes Collabora, Red Hat, and CIB / allotropia. While 73% of the changes were made by these developers to serve their business customers and other organizations, the remaining 27% were made by individual volunteers.

LibreOffice: 11 tricks to get the most out of document editing

Among the outstanding novelties of this new version we have:

  • Interoperability with DOCX / XLSX / PPTX files has been improved, with improvements in importing tables in the text editor, and improvements in SmartArt when importing PowerPoint files.

  • A new option has been added to select the type of user interface based on the preferences of each user at the first start.

Lo71 Selectui

User interface selector

  • Finding a suitable printer paper size when printing a document has been improved.

  • All supported files are now displayed when adding a new extension in the Extension Manager.

  • The print preview is now updated asynchronously, so as not to crash the user interface when adjusting settings in the print dialog.

  • Added a new additions dialog to find, get and install extensions with a single click.

  • Writer has a new Style inspector to display the attributes of paragraph and character styles, and manual formatting properties.

  • In Writer and Calc the speed of find / replace operations was also significantly improved.

  • Visible signatures can now be added to existing PDF files in Draw.

  • Animations of multiple objects can now be changed at once in Impress.

  • Added ScriptForge Libraries: a robust and extensible collection of macro script resources for LibreOffice that can be invoked from the user's Basic or Python scripts.

In addition to this, The Document Foundation has developed a migration protocol for help companies move from proprietary office suites to LibreOffice, which is based on the deployment of an LTS version of the LibreOffice Enterprise family, in addition to offering migration consulting and training by certified professionals.

You can now download LibreOffice Community 7.1 for Windows, Linux, macOS, and ChromeOS.

© Best Of Giz India. All rights reserved. Distributed by . Distributed by